Friday, February 1, 2008

Chana Dal Payasam

It's a quick way of making this payasam. I heard people making this payasam but never made one. My mom makes Polelu (Puran Poli) on Ugadi with Pachadi and some kind of dal with the dal and jaggery/bellam (gur). I never thought I would make this when I started cooking, but somehow ended up making this dish.'

You need...
1 cup chana dal
1 cup water
1 cup milk
1 tsbp ghee
dry fruits
3 cubes Jaggery/bellam
1 spoon cardammon powder


  1. Cook chana dal in pressure cooker. Mash half of it.
  2. Make jaggery syrup in the pan by adding a cup of water to jaggery. Let it come to a boil.
  3. Heat 1 cup milk in a microwave and add it to the syrup.
  4. Add chana dal and cardammon powder.
  5. Heat a small pan, add ghee, fry dry fruits (cashews, almonds, raisins) and add it to the payasam.


Serve hot or cold, it tasted good both ways. You can try adding dried cocunut pieces along with other dry fruits. For the picture, check my previous post.

No comments: